Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Believe it or not it's just me


Look at what's happened to me,
I can't believe it myself.
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world,
It should've been somebody else.

Believe it or not,
I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me.


 
I'm in a pretty good groove here :-)

Working out is going very well.  I'm settled into a 5x per week pattern, mixing it up between the elliptical, running and jazzercise.   I had a great three day stretch over the weekend where I did a double in jazzercise (two classes back to back!) on Friday, 45 minutes on the elliptical Saturday (hill climbing, level 11), and a 6 mile run on Sunday.  Felt awesome! - and boy was I ready for a rest day on Monday.  It's Tuesday now, and I'm feeling recovered and ready to go again.



A hot, happy mess after a 6 mile run.


I love feeling strong.  Love, love, LOVE it.   I always used to joke that if a serial killer was chasing me through the woods that I would immediately drop to the ground, cover my head, and just beg for him to make the murder as quick as possible.  Now?  Heck no!  That serial killer better be super duper fast, or have amazing cardio because I am running forrrrrreverrrrrr.   Or I might just turn around and kick his butt with my cardiokickboxing moves.

"Excuse me, Mr. Killer.  Can you stand still while I execute my impressive "barn burner" upon you?"

It's crazy enough that it just might work!

I also love the idea that I'm a person that could run for help if needed.  I know that sounds stupid, but I am a crazy worrier and I tend to rattle around some pretty strange scenarios in my head.

What if we're driving through the mountains and have a car accident....and Andy is hurt....and we don't have cell phone reception....and the kids are hungry and cold and I NEED to run for help.

Back in the day,  the family would have been screwed.

But today?  I'm your gal!  Send me, send me!  I can do it!

Stupid?  Maybe.  But I think it's more about having another way that I can take care of my family if needed.  I am not helpless.  I'm strong.

Maybe this is because eating healthy and working out sometimes makes me feel like a superhero.  I'm sure y'all are thinking I'm nuts right about now.  But for a woman who felt so tired, fat, low energy, sick and out of breath for years being healthy and strong does feel superhuman.   I never knew that people went about day to day feeling *this* way - and let me tell you, it is infinitely better than eating brownies, pizza, fettuccine alfredo and all of that stuff I used to love.

******************************************************

I've got a few new favorites in the food department.

Here's today's lunch:


Isn't that pretty?!  I'm on a bit of salad kick which is kind of unusual for me. I love a good salad, but I'm not crazy about making one for myself.   Lately I've been buying a container of organic spring mix lettuce, and chopping tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms and cucumbers.  I boiled a bunch of chicken breasts with seasoning, and then cooled, chopped and popped in the freezer in 1/2 cup servings   I've also discovered an amazing recipe for healthy croutons. Whole Wheat Croutons - 1 WW Point per serving.
Throw a little balsamic on top of this beauty and you are good to go!


Oh, and see those blackberries?  That's part of a great deal I got from Basketeria at the West Side Market.  12 pints of organic blackberries for $8.  I mean, really???!  That's crazy cakes.

I froze a lot of the berries, but I'm  also eating them every which way - making smoothies, muffins, etc.  Blackberries, blackberries, blackberries!

Basically I'm feeling a little like this right now.


Speaking of those blackberry muffins I made.  Follow this fabulous recipe.    I used coconut oil and no-sugar added apple juice in the recipe.  Really tasty.   They are approximately 115 calories each, and all real food ingredients so an excellent healthy choice for breakfast or a snack.    My kids dig them, too!

Good day, friends!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment