Monday, February 11, 2013

Staying Motivated

I've been a bit quiet lately on my blog.  Not enough time in the day it seems. This entry might not be particularly exciting and have more typos than usual since I'm whipping this together during my lunch break!

I've entered another weight loss contest - I guess this is called "double dipping" on contests since it runs concurrently with the one at the jazzercise studio.

This contest is called "Dump Your Plump."

Yes, seriously,

Isn't that the grossest name ever?  My brain goes like this: dump, plump, plop....ick.

The program itself seems pretty cool though - and a bit mysterious.  It's a 10 week workplace wellness program that puts you on a team - you set individual weight loss goals, but all team members must engage in 30 minutes of exercise five days per week.  By meeting your own goals, your team earns points.  Then your team earns prizes based on those points.  Nobody knows what the prizes will be. I'm going to be pissed if  it's a leaky cheap water bottle.

I really like the peer pressure aspect of this program.  I do best when others are depending on me because I hate to let anyone down.   My fellow dumpers of the plump can rest assured for the next ten weeks I will forge ahead in meeting my weight loss goals.

Right now, I'm in *that* place.  I have flow.  I'm in the zone.  I 'm locked in and focused - with my motivation so high this whole journey feels easy.

And that scares the heck out of me!

I don't know if anyone else worries like that.  When things get too easy or feel too right the fear of messing up can become a bit paralyzing for me.  I've been around the block a few times with weight loss and know my patterns.  This time (meaning the last two years) HAS been different because of the introduction of serious exercise in my life, but still.....I worry about failing.  I worry too much. 

********************************************************
Oh, and there is yet another "challenge" in my life.  Can you tell I like to do that sort of thing yet? LOL.

Every February since my sons were small, we've made February a "No Eating Out Month".  This means all food we eat is prepared or consumed at home - no take-out, fast food, dine-in, coffee stops, vending machines, trips out for ice cream, etc.

We started this for financial reasons.  February is a notoriously horrible month for us.  We're coming off our two most expensive months of the year, and entering a time period where work is slow for my husband.   Unfortunately my husband has a job that has its peaks and valleys with work, and if he doesn't work then he doesn't get paid.  I can write a whole post about the nerve-wracking nature of THAT!

So we started this way back when to hide the fact from the kids that money was hellava tight in February.  If they made it through the month without complaint, they would be rewarded with a new toy or video game at the end of the month (Mama's pay day! LOL!)

Andy's work situation is better now, but February still isn't the best of months and we continue with the challenge.  It is AMAZING the money you save when you cut out dining out, etc.  It's actually quite eye-opening.   You also eat SO much better.  Fat, sodium, and portion size are so effed up when you eat out.  Eat at home, and you are in control.

There are also other benefits to the family - we seem to spend more time together in February. We cook together more; we bake special things.  We find other ways to have fun that aren't centered around a meal out - we tend to have a lot of family game/movie nights with popcorn and hot cocoa :-)

We are a fairly busy family so it does require some planning and work to make ALL of your food at home, but honestly, it is not that hard OR time consuming.

For instance, tonight's dinner is a favorite:  quesadillas.

I use this recipe for absolutely delicious refried beans (which I tweak a bit for our spicier tastes :-)





I timed myself this morning as I prepped the refried beans for the crockpot.  Took all of 6 minutes.


Tonight after work I will make up some quesadillas on the electric skillet - just beans and cheese for the boys on flour tortillas.  Andy and I will add avocado and tomato to ours and use whole wheat tortillas.  I will also roast some lime/cilantro/chili powder cauliflower (prepped last night).  I've got some blueberries with whipped cream for the boys for dessert.

A good, healthy non-processed meal that costs under $10 will be on the table in 25 minutes.    Not too shabby!   There are many more meals out there  that are real, simple, quick and inexpensive.

Weigh-in tonight at jazzercise. Gulp.  Hoping for any kind of loss after the big loss I had in Week 1.   Will update soon!

*****ETA:  Booyah!   Another 3lbs gone - 9.2lbs in 2 weeks!   I really am not doing anything drastic.  Increased exercise to 5x weekly (I was at 3-4x on most weeks) and stopped snacking on carbs/dairy.  Veggies/Fruit/Protein only for snacks.  That's it.  I'm finally getting this "real food" thing! Not feeling deprived or hungry.












No comments:

Post a Comment