Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Weight Loss Contest Update

I'm happy to report that I've had another successful week, and am down 11.2 lbs after three weeks in the weight loss contest at my jazzercise studio.
I really dislike Tom Cruise.







So, it's going well!   And while I would be thrilled to win the $180 prize,  I'm just glad that this contest is finally motivating me to start losing again.  It's a victory no matter what. 

Victories, Observations and Challenges:

1). I am killing it with my work outs! Before the contest, I was definitely in a pattern of "phoning it in" at the gym though I hate to admit that.  Now I'm in a very nice 5-6x per week routine (5-6 hours per week).  I love jazzercise, and I've been hitting the elliptical hard for an hour at a time. God, I love to sweat.  Love. It!  This still amuses me seeing as I spent 39 years avoiding nearly everything that would make me sweat.

2).  I haven't been running much :(  I've only run twice in the last 10 days for a total of 8 miles.  That is not ok with me, but I'm finding it really hard to find my motivation to run. The weather has been so cold, and I've been feeling extra wimpy about running outside.  Last winter was wonderfully mild, and I ran outside all winter long.  That's been much harder to do this year, and I loathe the treadmill at the gym.  I need to suck it up, and get back to running no matter where I have to do it.  I have races on 3/16 (5 miles) , 4/27 (10 miles) and 5/19 (13.1 miles).  

3). Monday weigh-ins are brilliant.  Why have I never done this before???!!!   Both of my contests - the one at jazzercise and the unfortunately named Dump Your Plump contest at work - require a Monday weigh-in.  In all my years of trying to lose weight (mostly Weight Watchers), I always did Saturday morning weigh-ins.  That's just asking for an extra challenge.  My tendency was to be very good and on point during the week, weigh-in on Saturday, and then go off the rails the rest of the weekend.  Monday weigh-ins keep me honest.  It's showing on the scale that I have been good on the weekends.  Well, I've been really good, except for.......

4).  Wine.  Got to reduce the wine. Wine is strictly a weekend thing for me.  It's an after-the-kids-are-asleep-at-home-date-night thing with my husband.   We cuddle on the couch and have a few drinks (ok, I have a few drinks, he might have one) while watching a movie.  Or we have a few drinks and play a board game.  Or we have a few drinks and talk.  I never almost never consume more than a bottle over the course of a weekend (500 calories).  However, the big problem with wine is that I'm like that darn mouse and the cookie.  If you give Jenny some wine, she's going to want cheese to go with it.  If you give her some cheese, she's going to want some crackers.  If you give her some crackers (and some more wine!), she might want some chocolate, too. And if you give Jenny too much wine, she doesn't care what the heck she eats! 

5). I truly love Pinterest.  I find so many good, healthy, amazing recipes through Pinterest, and love trying new things.  I am a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast and lunch, but I love cooking and trying new dishes for dinner.  I have over 100 meals in our dinner rotation. If you'd like to follow me on Pinterest, my username is khemarasmom and I have a board called "I made this and it's a keeper" where I file all of the recipes that I've found on pinterest, made and love.

6).  Measuring my dinner portions is crucial.  I've made my own guidelines as far as measuring goes and it's nothing terribly scientific.  I make sure I take no more than a palm-sized portion of meat.  I make sure to only take 1 cup of whatever whole grain (or potato) that we're having.   I don't limit veggies.   If I'm making some sort of soup/casserole/stir fry, I don't really concern myself with the calories, but I limit myself to a 2 cup portion.  It seems to be working.  I'm full, getting a varied diet and losing weight.

7).  I finally have snack time under control.  This was definitely my biggest challenge prior to the contest.  I am forcing myself to grab a fruit or veggie first as snack before I allow myself anything else.  If I still want something, I go ahead have a small portion of carbs (ak mak crackers with 1/4 cup of hummus, for example) or dairy (string cheese or plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit added).

I am so happy to see the scale moving in the right direction - my upcoming October marathon is also motivating.  Every pound I lose means there will be a little less of me that I will have to haul 26.2 miles.  If that isn't motivating, I don't know what is!

Have a good healthy day, and remember.........

 


No comments:

Post a Comment