Thursday, January 24, 2013

Bring it? Oh, it's already been brought-en

Word on the street is that I am somewhat competitive.

This is an aspect of my personality that took some time for me to accept.

I never really thought of myself as a competitive person until I asked some dear loved ones if they thought I was. They looked me in the eye, did a spit-take/laughed/choked/ and said, "Is the Pope Catholic?!". 

Their rudeness in the face of a simple question caused me to reflect.

I liked to get good grades as a kid, but I was never out to beat anyone's grades.  I have only one sibling, and she's older and not the least bit competitive with me. I didn't play competitive sports, so no competitive spirit there. I  take pleasure in friends' accomplishments and successes so I'm not that sort of competitive person, ie, the jealous bitch type.

But...still.  If I'm playing a board game, I want to win.  I might recall taunting my children to "bring it" when playing Candyland back in their preschool days. Those guys vs girls party games?  Oh, I want the girls to win, and probably take it a little more seriously than the other ladies.   So much depends on proving our female superiority! Couples games?  I still haven't forgiven Andy for our July 2009 "Newlywed Game" loss.  Totally his fault.  Trivia games?  You are looking at the queen.  I've seen the respect in people's eyes when I plunk down at the video trivia game at Dave & Buster's, and I like it.

And if I know I'm right about something- KNOW IT - I will bet to win.   I won a puppy from my Dad when I was 6th grade and we were both *certain* of an answer on my Social Studies study guide.  I won a Coach purse from Andy when we were both *certain* of some movie trivia. If Andy and I disagree about some piece of trivia or information and I get a gleam in my eye and offer to bet him, the man has wisely learned to back away from his crazy wife.

Jazzercise North Olmsted - the new jazzercize studio in town - is having a two month weight loss contest with a cash prize.

Head cocking to the right.  Ears pricking up like a German Shepherd.

Contest,  you say?! 
 Cash prize,  you say?!  
As my girl Pink would say/sing.....
 It's so on right now.

Details: Contest runs from January 28 through March 25.  There's a $20 buy-in.  Half of the money collected will go to the winner.  Half  to Relay for Life.

I don't know yet if it's based on pounds lost or percentage of weight loss.   No matter.  I want it.  I'm going to do my best to crush them be successful.  I will report my weekly weight loss here on the blog.

I am highly motivated by this kind of stuff.  I wish I could say all of my motivation is internal, but Mama is going on a beach vacation this summer.  What great timing to move my booty off this god-awful plateau, and win some $$ for some cute summer clothes.


I won't guarantee a win. There could be someone else as crazy as me in the contest. BUT, this is exactly the motivation I need to move forward.  I'm really excited!

Speaking of jazzercise - still loving it, and not to get too cocky, but I think I'm getting less awkward while doing it.   I'm settling in to a 2-3x per week routine, and then running 2-3x per week.  I've only been jazzercising for 3 weeks, but am definitely seeing some changes in my body.

Real food challenge has been...challenging.   I've had two slips in the past week.   Those two slips - one eating white pasta and the other drinking a flavored-with-artificial-sweetener water  - made me feel absolutely awful.  This weekend is going to be rough as I will be celebrating birthdays three days in a row.  These were pre-planned "cheat days" at the beginning of the challenge.  I'm going to make the best choices possible, and get ready to hit the ground running for the contest on Monday!  Woot!



No comments:

Post a Comment