Tuesday, January 15, 2013

You can't miss me, that's for sure.

When I was in fourth grade, I went to a classmate's birthday/slumber party all decked out in what I thought was the coolest outfit ever.  Picture this, starting from the top of my head:  pink beret, red turtleneck, pink pleated skirt, pink tights, red leg warmers, and pink high top converse.  I was a vision!  A 9 year old walking Valentine!

When I got to the party, the other girls laughed at me.  I  went home, changed clothes, and came back to the party.

I have a history of this throughout my childhood and adolescence.  The love of the bold and quirky and then letting other people's  more conventional tastes change me.

It happened in 6th grade (1984) when I got a bi-level haircut - oh yeah, one side super short, and the other long.  I went back the next day to the salon to get it evened out.   In high school, I had a couple of friends tease me about my "pilgrim" fashion sense - my love of big buckled shoes and vests.  I really did kind of look like a boy pilgrim, minus the hat.  But I liked that look!

One of the things I LOVE about running is that it allows me to embrace my inner 10 year old's still quirky fashion sense. Many runners like things LOUD and BOLD.  Crazy colors and patterns.   Neon hued shoes.   Sparkly tutus and headbands.   I have found my people!

And with that, I give you my new neon pink CEP Compression Socks, wonderfully paired with my neon orange Adidas Supernova Sequence running shoes!

Wow!


These buggers cost $60!  I'm wearing $60 socks!  (I'm also wearing them on the wrong feet...only after my run did I discover one was labeled "L" and the other "R" and they weren't where they were supposed to be...lol)

My dear husband got these for me for Christmas after hearing how much I wanted to try them, and also hearing how I would never, ever, ever spend $60 on a pair of socks.

He's so good like that.  He listens to me, remembers, and gives great gifts.

Apparently, good compression socks help reduce the risk of injury, help with muscle fatigue during runs, and aid in recovery.

I took them out for a 5 mile spin in the Metroparks over the weekend.  Honestly, I don't know if it was the socks or a coincidence, but I ran my fastest 5 miles ever finishing in 59:38.  I usually finish between 61-64 minutes.  My legs felt great during the entire run, and nice and loose after.  No aches or twinges or tight muscles  at all the rest of the day.

My one worry is that the socks might make me feel too hot during warmer months.  Or maybe I just feel that way now because it's a very new feeling.  I just felt very aware that I was wearing them, and that they were hugging my calves pretty snugly (warmly?)

Because they are super expensive and I  have one pair, I plan to only wear them on longer run days.  If I forge ahead with my bold 2013 running plan, there are going to be many long runs in my future.  Hopefully, these brightly colored beauties will help me through. 
******************************************
Monday night brought a new episode of The Biggest Loser.  I'm starting to lose my love for some of the contestants.  However, one of them said one of the smartest things I've ever heard on the show or anywhere regarding weight loss....

"I've learned being healthy isn't a chore.  It's a gift."

This is wise, and it's truth.  It's when your mindset changes from "chore" to "gift" that healthy changes become permanent and your life changes.  Putting nourishing food into my body, and then pushing my body to get stronger and run faster and longer isn't a chore.  It's a gift.  I'm giving a gift to myself, and to my loved ones with every healthy choice I make.

So, I encourage anyone reading this to put on your wackiest, brightest ensemble and get out there and do it!  Give yourself the gift of a healthy you.  You deserve it!



No comments:

Post a Comment