Monday, January 7, 2013

Feels great to be back on track!

I've been back on track with "real food" for one full week.   It feels great!

Ain't gonna lie - the detox from the holiday sugar bender was really tough for me.  I knew it would be, and I had all the expected headaches, grumpiness, and sleepiness that I had when I first made the lifestyle change back in November. One good thing is that the detox period was definitely shorter this time lasting about five days versus ten.  I'm feeling very strong, and completely back to clean eating right now.  I have no cravings for processed food or sugar.

Andy is doing great.  The jerk is already down 7 lbs.  I kid, I kid.  I'm extremely proud of him, and a bit jealous - I'm only down 2lbs and that's because I managed to gain 4 during Christmas!.  He also has had no side-effects to changing his diet.  That doesn't really seem fair, does it?

I need to note that Andy is not eating completely clean at this point.  He works a physically demanding job with 12 hour work days and no lunch breaks.  He's forced to eat on the go, and can't eat a lot because the physical nature of the job makes that rough on his stomach.  His job is really terrible for his health in so many ways (sigh).   So, he is still drinking Gatorade during work for calories and hydration.  I'm going to look for alternatives to that for him.  Since he detests wastefulness, he's also finishing up some of the "work food" he purchased before the challenge - certain granola bars and mixed nut combos that don't meet the clean eating rules we've established.

It is great having him on board though.  This past week, every shared meal has been clean for the whole family.

There is one thing in parenting I'm sure Andy and I have done right.  And if you are a parent, you know any things you can be sure of and have no doubts you've done right are very few and far between - practically non-existent, really .  Andy and I have raised two non-picky, adventurous eaters.   We were very careful not to cater to signs of early pickiness, and as a result we have two kids who will pretty much try any food and seem to like most of them.  There's never a struggle at dinner time, or times where I need to make special foods or the kids won't eat.  That said when making stir-fry, I will continue to make them jasmine rice, while I make a pot of brown rice for the adults.  My kids just love, love, love jasmine rice (so do I!).  I just don't want to deny them the joy of their jasmine rice.    Any rice casseroles will be made with brown rice so that both kids and adults can eat it.

The boys have made the transition to whole wheat so well! Last night, I made a fantastic lasagna using my bolognese sauce and whole what lasagna noodles.

100% whole wheat durum flour is only ingredient in these noodles.  Available at Giant Eagle for $2.99.



While my youngest son looked at the finished product and immediately exclaimed, "Oh my God, even the lasagna is brown now!", he tried it, and loved it after the first bite.

As I've transitioned to serving only real food for the whole family, I've definitely been making some  high caloric meals.  I'm trying to keep them all reeled in with tastiness!
This has made portion control so important!    Saturday night's dinner was bacon-wrapped pork medallions with mashed potatoes(organic) and roasted brussel sprouts.  Sunday's dinner was whole wheat lasagna with organic green beans and salad (all organic veggies and homemade balsamic vinaigrette).     All real, but all will make you - or keep you - fat if you don't control your portions.

Last night after dinner, we watched the premiere of Season 14 of The Biggest Loser.  I do find that show pretty inspirational, and a great reality check.  God, what we do to our bodies.  We get this one miraculous body that carries us through this life and we treat it like a garbage can.  I really wish I had a time machine and could go back and undo all of the abuse I've put myself through. I know I'm doing the next best thing, but, ugh, I still have so many regrets.






No comments:

Post a Comment