Thursday, January 17, 2013

Not a typical week - my weekly dinner plan and reasons to celebrate

I did my usual Wednesday meal planning night, and now have a list of what we will be eating for dinner from Saturday, January 19-Friday January 26.  No new recipes this week, but this is a really yummy line up so make sure to follow the links for some good recipes!

I also have a few asides to share-  because, well,  I always have a few asides to share and next week is not a typical week.
 
* Saturday - Eating Out For G's Family Day Anniversary

Sunday -   Mimi's  roast sticky chickencrash hot potatoes, roasted carrots plus corn bread for kids.

** Monday -  Baked white cheddar whole wheat mac n cheese with kale and bacon - Andy's choice for his birthday dinner 

Tuesday -   Whole Wheat Penne with Turkey and Asparagus  

Wednesday -  Lemony shrimp over brown rice

Thursday -  Chicken fried rice. I always make fried rice for dinner in the same week I make a roasted whole chicken.  On Sunday night, I will pick what is left off the chicken (I hate doing this...ick) and toss in freezer to bring out later in the week. My fried rice is hearty with carrots, peas, eggs, broccoli and chicken.  I use soy sauce and Thai garlic chili paste to season.  I'll  make the adults' portions with brown rice, and the kids' with jasmine rice.

*** Friday -  Fend for Yourself! Mama's going out! 

Extras:  butternut squash soup, pumpkin spelt muffins, roasted chick peas

All of the above meets our real food/non-processed food guidelines with the exception of the items marked "kids only", ie corn bread and jasmine rice.

Now for the wonderful, asterisked events in our life!

*  This is my oldest son's "Family Day", the anniversary of his adoption.  He gets a small present,  picks where/what he wants to eat,  we reminisce as a family,  and pay honor to his birth parents.  I know Andy and I will engage in the yearly ritual of "Can you believe how lucky we are?" and taking a long moment to be in awe together of all that cosmically transpired  to bring us such a tremendous blessing.  When I held my 3 month old, 8lb baby boy in that hot and humid Cambodian orphanage,  he immediately locked eyes with me.  I'm convinced we both knew what that moment meant.  It was a sacred exchange and a promise. What a wonderful fourteen years it has been.
Our first look at our son.  This face!

When G. was little he looked at this picture and asked if we had just won the lottery because we look so happy.  It's  since been known as "the lottery picture".


** My husband Andy's 41st birthday.  I have so much love and affection for this man, and look forward to celebrating him.  We've been together since the age of 17 . I lucked out.  Married up.  Snagged him when he was too young to know better.   He's good, loving, kind, funny and hard-working.  On the day we were married he told me that he would always treat me like his girlfriend and has honored that  promise for nearly 19 years.  Andy is also an incredible father.  He has such a special and close relationship with our kids.   For ten years, he worked nights, and was the at-home parent during the day.  How he slept so little, managed the kids with good humor and patience , and drove our youngest son to auditory verbal, occupational, and speech therapies nearly every day for many years I will never know.   He's made countless sacrifices without batting an eye so we can best meet their needs.   How lucky I am that he is their father and their role model of manhood. You will never hear me bitch about my husband.  He's not perfect, of course, no one is - but his every action is motivated by his love for us. I like, love and respect the hell out him.




***The Winter Birthday Trifecta!  It shall be celebrated with much laughter, food and drink!  In my tight circle of female friends, three out of four of us celebrate our birthdays within a twelve day period in late January/early February.  This year, the trifecta shall be celebrated in a grand way.    Girls night out at Playhouse Square to see Spank!  The 50 Shades of Grey Musical Parody, and then fabulous food and drink at Wine Bar Rocky River.   Can't wait to unleash my inner goddess, bite my lip, laugh my booty off, and have a few drinkie drinks with my ladies.  
 



2 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful. That one made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm proving a bit schizophrenic on my blog...I guess it's a little bit of everything. LOL.

    ReplyDelete