Thursday, January 3, 2013

I like to move it, move it....

I love to run while listening to music and I've embarrassed myself a plenty while doing it!   Once while running in the park, I accidentally found myself belting out Flo Rida's "Wild Ones" when two extremely fit, good-looking 20-something guys ran passed me.  They were really nice about trying not to look like they were going to pee their pants laughing at me, but they totally were about to pee their pants laughing at me. C'est La Vie!
 
Don't let that little story stop you from making a playlist of music that inspires you and may even cause spontaneous singing and dancing (yeah, I've done that too).   Choosing the right music is a great tool to help push through the "God, I want to stop this second" moments and get the most out of your run.

I put my music into three categories:   inspirational message songs, songs that are special to me, and stupid/ridiculous songs with good beats.    They all help me in different ways.

Inspirational Message Songs

If you want a good inspirational song for the beginning of a new year/new life, I highly recommend some Mumford & Sons "Roll Away Your Stone". 




 
And so I'll be found
With my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul

Also recommend:

Eminem - 'Til I Collapse and Not Afraid.  Dude, that part in Not Afraid when you hear "Time to exorcise these demons. These motherf*ckers are doing jumping jacks now!"? You will soar when you hear it. I promise.

Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky) - Goes without saying.  Every time I run a 5K, I try to get this song to play last so I hear it as I see the finish line.  Stop laughing at me.


Pat Benatar - All Fired Up.  Kickin' it old school.

Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over and Shake It Out.  Flo's got the inspiration thing down! 

Gym Class Heroes - The Fighter

Christina Aguilera - Fighter

The Roots - Here I Come


Songs with personal meaning to you 

I think we all have a soundtrack to our lives.  Songs that make you think of special people and times in your life.  If you are are a parent, I highly recommend putting songs on your playlist that remind you of your kids.  Nothing inspires me more than my kids.  I can't tell  you how many times during a difficult run, I think of my kids and know I can keep going.  "What if baby boy was 5 minutes or 5 miles down the road and he needed me?  Could I get to him?"  Well, that's a stupid question!  Of course, I could! Each and every time. Having songs that make me think of my loves has the same effect on me.
 
Katrina and The Waves - Walking on Sunshine.   This is baby boy #1's song.    On October 29, 1998, I learned I was going to be a Mama, and our 6lb dream come true - Rath Khemara - was waiting for us in a Cambodian orphanage.   I got the news at work, and couldn't get in touch with my husband.   I drove home to tell my husband while laughing, crying, speeding  and experiencing  complete to-the-marrow joy when this song came on the radio.  It was a perfect moment, and this song still gives me that euphoric feeling.  A much appreciated feeling towards the end of a loooooong run.


The Beatles' - Here Comes the Sun.   This is baby boy #2's song.  I won't even get into the long story, but the journey to our second child was long and difficult.  This kind of became the family theme song during the torturous wait.  Every night during, my husband played this on his guitar as a lullaby for baby boy #1.  The song makes me a little sad, a lot hopeful, and is a great reminder of miracles happening through great love and perseverance.   It's not a traditional running song, but it's such a biggie on the soundtrack of my life that it's perfect for me.

Brandi Carlile- The Story.  I love you, honey.





Other songs:

Usher - Love in this Club.  Memories of a drunken 5am hotel room sing-a-long in Vegas with your best friends?  Priceless.  Smiles for miles :-)

Rihanna - We Found Love.  Uh-oh.  I've had too much to drink again.

Edwin McCain - I Could Not Ask For More - a love song for my kids.

And many, many, many more.........................................


Stupid/Ridiculous Songs with Good Beats

Ok...a little bit embarrassing,so let's get this over with.

Black-Eyed Peas - Fergilicious.  Yeah, I said it.
LMFAO - Shots
Nelly - Hot in Herre
Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock - It Takes Two
Britney Spears - I Wanna Go
Wreckx-N-Effect - Rump Shaker


Tons more on this list, one more embarrassing than the next.   Whatever gets you moving and keeps you moving!

Spend some time creating the perfect playlist for you.  It's a great tool to keep you running.






















2 comments:

  1. Oh thank goodness! Another Florence+The Machines lover! She does know how to get ya going!

    ReplyDelete