Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Day 1

Day 1

"Step by step, like an infant new kid.
Inch by inch with the new solution.
Transmit hits, with no delusion.
The feeling's irresistible and that's how we movin'.

Everybody, everybody, let's get into it.
Get stupid.
Get it started, get it started, get it started
Let's get it started in here!
"

I freaking love this song. 

We never let our kids call anything "stupid" when they were little.  It was a big no-no word in our household.  Our youngest son loves to sing, and "Let's Get it Started" was his favorite song when he was a preschooler,   I can clearly remember Sam sitting in his car seat getting SO excited for the upcoming "get stupid"  that his little fists would ball up, he'd start smiling and shaking with excitement and then shout out the most joyful "GET STUPID!!!!!!!" that you ever heard - actually it was GET DUPE-ED!, but we knew what he meant. .  
When I started to run, I put this song on my running playlist because hello! it's the perfect running song, and because always made me laugh  thinking of my so-excited-he-can't-sit-still-
kid waiting to GET STUPID!

When I ran my first half marathon (the Cleveland Rite Aid Marathon/Half Marathon in May 2012), "Let's Get it Started" was the blasting over the loudspeakers as I hit the start.  I will never forget the euphoric, hopeful and powerful feeling I had at that moment - jumping up and down like a lunatic with tears of joy in my eyes as I ran up the big hill behind Cleveland Browns Stadium with this song thumping in my ears. 

This song will forever be my #1 getting psyched song.  It makes me feel like I can grab life by the collar!  Or kick it in the balls!  Or change my taste buds and deny myself my favorite foods for 100 days!!

Yeah, this may be stupid (or just incredibly hard!), but let's get it started in here.

Breakfast:  coffee with half and half,  2/3 cup steel cut oatmeal with a drizzle of real maple syrup, plain greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey, and a banana

This was almost my typical breakfast.  Except no flavored coffee creamer :(  No brown sugar in the oatmeal:( and no flavored yogurt :(    The changes were not bad except for the plain yogurt with honey.  BARF! That will take some getting used to! 

Lunch:  Pulled out the old bento box  and filled with with ak-mak crackers, 2 ounces cheddar cheese, 1 "just a handful" pack of almonds cashews and dried fruit from trader joes, and a handful of grapes.
Actually LOVED this lunch.  I liked that it was a whole bunch of smaller nibbles.  Very satisfying and it slowed me down a bit - I normally eat way too fast.

Afterwork snack:   grape tomatoes  and tahini-free hummus

Dinner:  new recipe! Loobia Polow
http://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2008/12/rice-with-green-beans-loobia-polow.html
only difference to recipe is using brown jasmine rice rather than basmati.

Ok, I learned my lesson!  When I first found this recipe on pinterest I thought "Cool!  My kids love these ingredients!"  I shopped without really reading the cooking instructions.  Didya notice it's about a THREE HOUR recipe???  So I got stuck making dinner for three hours on a Monday night.  Also, instructions were really unclear so I'm not even sure I made it right. The kids hated it, and then I had hungry kids to worry about late at night.  So, it wasfrench bread pizza night for them.   This was one of things I was worried bout happening so it was not a great way to start the challenge.  Andy and I actually really liked this recipe.

Evening snack - what evening snack?  The lack of sugar made me turn into a slug after working all day and making a complex dinner.  I was out cold on the couch by 9:30pm :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment