Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Sick

I. Am. Sick.
\
I don't get sick a lot. Actually, I get sick a lot less since I started to lose weight and run.  I think this is my first virus in the last two years.  But, boy, it has knocked me on my butt. I'm headachey, tired, cranky, sniffly and oh-so-tired.  

I am not one of those stoic moms. Nope, I'm a baby when I'm sick.  When the kids were little, I muddled through, but now that they are old enough to take care of themselves when I'm out of commision  I let myself be out of commission.    I hear about "man colds" and I have to laugh because I've never lived with a man who actually had those.  My husband will work 12 hours at a physically grueling job with the flu and never complain.  He's rather remarkable.  I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the house who gets a "man cold" .   I'm secure enough in my mothering/household management the other 360+ days per year that I feel no shame in this ;-)

Not surprisingly as I've been feeling unwell, I have been craving COMFORT FOOD.  And comfort food for me does not equal real food.  I've been longing for hot cocoa with whipped cream, my favorite sugary cereal from childhood, white bread and butter, and chocolate.  Ugh.  I have resisted, and tried to satisfy myself with lots of peppermint tea, shredded wheat cereal and granola.

Which brings me to another problem  I've been having lately:  Too much of a good thing is still too much.   It's time for me to start counting calories and measuring portions.  I avoided that in the beginning because I was making drastic changes to my diet.  But, I'm pretty sure I'm eating way too much of a few things.  So phase #2 starts tomorrow - just how much granola am I putting away each day? The closest answer I have right now is:  A LOT.

A 3 mile run was on the schedule for me today - that didn't happen :(  I hate when I have to skip a run.  I get twitchy if I don't run every other day.

Dinner was a good one tonight - real food that the whole family enjoyed.  Simple sauteed chicken breasts with olive oil/salt/pepper/herbs, couscous with parmesan cheese, and roasted carrots. Delicious!

Ok....back to the sick bed.......


No comments:

Post a Comment