Thursday, November 29, 2012

Planning Meals

Like all moms, I'm busy - and only seem to get busier as the kids get older.  I love to cook, but really don't have a lot of time to do it.   For me,  meal planning is *essential* both for time and budgetary reasons (my two skinny kids can eat RIDICULOUS amounts of food!).  And with this challenge, it's become even more important.  Without planning, it's way too easy to grab packaged, processed junk when you're hungry.

Every Thursday I carve out about 30 minutes to plan out six meals I will cook for the upcoming week.   Our breakfasts and lunches are pretty set so I don't need to think a lot about those.  Occasionally, I add a new breakfast recipe to try.
 
First, I go through my pinned recipes on pinterest.  I have a "recipes to try" board, and a "tried and true" board.  Each week, I try one new recipe, and then hopefully it gets moved to my "tried and true" board with additional notes.  Or it sucks, and gets deleted forever.  That's happened a time or two!
 
I make my dinner list while sitting in the kitchen.  As I make the list, I go through the fridge, freezer and pantry to see what items I'll need to buy to make the meal.  It's really a very quick proess that helps me SO MUCH.
 
For the upcoming week:
1. Pork Tenderloin, Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, and Mashed Potatoes
*this meal meets real food guidelines.
 
 
2. Grilled Turkey Cutlets with Whole Wheat Pasta and Asparagus
*this meal meets real food guidelines
 
 
3. Tacos
I make my taco seasoning - it's so simple, very tasty and you avoid the nasty packaged stuff.
2 Tbsp. chili powder
½ tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. oregano
Cayenne pepper to taste
*Will need to make subsitutions for real food challenge. Husband and kids will have regular tacos (soft and hard) with fixings. I''l have a taco salad.
 
 
4. Chicken Fried Rice, Fresh Pineapple
My family loves chicken fried rice for dinner. I load it up with veggies (carrots, broccoli and peas), plus several scrambled eggs, and about 1lb of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. We season it with lots of garlic, salt and pepper, soy sauce and thai garlic chili paste. It's really like a stovetop casserole. Very filling, and a good complete meal. I will make my portion with brown rice; the fam's with jasmine.
 
 
*this meal meets real food guidelines.  For my big eating family, I double the recipe and add rice noodles to bulk up the wraps.  I imagine the kids will also have some tomato soup with this for dinner.
 
 
6. Chicken Ceci, Broccoli Bites, and Garlic Bread
"Chicken Ceci" is a family favorite that is named for my dear friend Ceci. The kids first had it at her house, and they love it. It's thin chicken cutlets sauteed with olive oil and lawry's seasoning :-)
*this meets real food guidelines (minus garlic bread) - making broccoli bites with whole wheat bread crumbs
 
 
Real food items to make throughout the week for lunches, snacks:
granola
butternut squash soup
chickpea salad
 
My grocery budget each week is $200; I'm usually under that by a good bit.  Keep in mind, we are a family of four, my husband works a physical job, my boys are growing and very active (ages 14 and 11), and we buy local and organic when possible.  We eat all but one meal per week made from home.  I think we do pretty good considering.  I could not keep this budget without planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment