Tuesday, November 27, 2012

It's the Climb

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an  uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb



I got a phone call at 3:15pm

Sam: Mom! Mom! I got an A- on my math test!!   I worked so hard, Mom!  Are you proud of me?
Me:  Oh my God, Sam!  I am so proud!  I just want to squeeze the stuffing out of you right now.
Sam:  You can do that as soon as you get home.  I did it, Mom - all that work, and I did it.  I got an A on a math test. Did you think your son could do that???
Me:   I sure did!

My 6th grader Sam struggles in school due to a number of issues.  He's hard of hearing, and has been since he was a toddler.  Hearing loss has huge educational implications because so much of what children learn is incidental and comes just from listening, hearing and overhearing conversations, etc.  With hearing loss that incidental learning does not happen and anything auditory is only learned as direct input.  Sam's hearing is aided, but hearing aids do not work like eyeglasses do.  They don't correct a loss;  they just amplify sound.  Sitting and listening in class every day is physically exhausting for Sam.  Imagine sitting in a classroom with your ears stuffed with cotton balls, straining to hear what the teacher says as background chatter and classroom noises make it even harder.  My son does this every single day.  In addition to that, he is learning disabled in math.  Yesterday, he got his very first A on a math test :-)

The most important thing about Sam is that he is tenacious.  My God  this child never, ever, ever gives up.   He does get discouraged at times, but always gives it his all.  It inspires me, humbles me, and is the reason the song "The Climb" is directly wired to my mama tear ducts.  His climb has always been difficult and beautiful, and has changed how I measure success.   A less than perfect outcome on something you pour your heart and soul into is worth so much more than something that comes easily and is done without thought.

It's NOT about how fast you get there.  It's NOT about what's on the other side.  It's about your journey to reach your always amazing potential and what it says about you.  The steeper the climb, the more admirable the effort to keep going. There will be sweet successes along the way - a much deserved A for Sam or  maybe a faster 5K time or dropping another clothing size for me - but it's really about putting yourself out there on a journey that will challenge you and then - simply and not so simply - never, ever, ever giving up.

Thank you,  baby,  for all the valuable lessons you teach me.  You are my hero and my inspiration.

******************************************************************
Last night's dinner was one of our favorites, and easily adaptable for the entire family.

Lemony Shrimp Over Brown Rice
I doubled the sauce in the recipe.   I had mine over brown rice per the recipe with a side of roasted broccoli  For the rest of the family, I tossed the lemony shrimp with 1lb of cooked pasta.  They also enjoyed the roasted broccoli, and some garlic bread.  Man, did I want some garlic bread(!), but I resisted.



2 comments:

  1. So true!! Our kids teach us a lot - we just have to pay attention. Your writing is fantastic as I knew it would be!

    ReplyDelete